Charles B Flannagan presents: Colonel James Patton
The Bristol Historical Association will present a program on Thursday, February 15th, in the J. Henry Kegley Meeting room at the Bristol Public Library featuring guest speaker, the Honorable Charles B. Flannagan, retired judge from the Bristol Virginia Circuit Court. Judge Flannagan, an authority in local and judicial history, will speak about Colonel James Patton, the principle holder of the first land grant for Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee.
The traditional history of the Bristol area, in particular the Sapling Grove tract, can be traced back to Evan Shelby and Isaac Baker who were the first noted owners to settle and develop the area. Shelby built a way-station which later became a Holston militia fort. Baker established an extensive farm which was later sold to the Goodson family. Judge Flannagan will tell the story of the first titled owner of the land covering Virginia and Tennessee prior to the arrival of the Shelby and Baker families.
In 1745, Colonel James Patton, county lieutenant and commander of militia for Augusta County, was granted 120,000 acres of land to the west of the Blue Ridge Mountains by the Governor and Council of Virginia. Patton, along with his son-in-law, John Buchanan, deputy surveyor of Augusta County, Dr. Thomas Walker, and others made an exploratory journey to what is now southwest Virginia and east Tennessee in 1748, to locate and survey many of the tracts of land in the region.
The February 15th meeting is in partnership with the Bristol Public Library's mission of "Expanding Minds and Building Community." The program is free and open to the general public to attend. Contact Tim Buchanan, Program Chairman, for details of this or other upcoming programs at email@example.com.