Historic Downtown eNews  |  Archive

The 14th Annual Bristol Christmas Tour of Homes!

December 01, 2010

Usher in the Christmas Season with an enchanting tour of historic homes. The 14th Annual Bristol Christmas Tour of Homes will take place Sunday Dec. 5, 1:30 to 6:30 pm.

Homes on the tour include 708 Georgia Ave., Bristol, Tn., 207 Lynwood St. Bristol, Tn., 519 Alabama St., Bristol, Tn., 800 Euclid Ave., Bristol, Virginia, Virginia Intermont Van Dyke- Davis Alumni House, 808 Moore St., Bristol, Virginia , Virginia Intermont Presidents House, 1000 Moore St., Bristol, Virginia, Reynolds United Methodist Church 327 West Mary St., Bristol, Virginia.

Tickets for the self-guided tour are $10 per person in advance or $12 the day of the tour. Tickets are available at Country Gallery Florist, 193 Old Airport Road, Bristol, Va. (276) 669-8099. Grand Antiques, 615 State St., Bristol, Va. (276) 591-3443, One of a Kind Gallery, 604 State St., Bristol, Tn.,(423) 652-2648, Cranberry Lane, 623 State St., Bristol, Va. (276) 669-9899 and State Street Sweets and Eats, 9 Pennsylvania Ave., Bristol, Tn. (423) 844-0014.

Tickets must be presented at each home and can also be purchased at each residence the day of the tour. Comfortable low-heeled shoes should be worn during the tour. The event, co-sponsored by Premier Printing Company, V. N. Bud Phillips, Jewell Williams, Elizabeth Marshall, Barbara Barker, Diana Cumbo, Lisa Morton, and the Milady Tea Society, benefit for the East Hill Cemetery.

For more information, call Jewell (423) 652-0163 or Liz (423) 418-4621.

207 Lynwood St., (circa 1920-1925) home of Carolyn and Grady Thomas James F. McCrary built this beautiful home around 1920-1925 on the land owned by Dr. Hardin W. Reynolds, son of Civil War Veteran Major A.D. Reynolds, and nephew of tobacco tycoon R.J. Reynolds. Mrs. Ethel Reynolds saw the possibilities of a beautiful rock garden on the premises. Dr. Reynolds had a brief practice at 520 State St. He didn’t enjoy the medical field and soon gave it up for business pursuits. He opened Bristol’s first Ford automobile dealership and built Reynolds Arcade Building, now known as Executive Plaza. His wife, Mrs. Ethel Romph Reynolds, became his business partner and was the first woman associated with the automobile business. Dr. Reynolds mother, Mrs. A.D. Reynolds and Mrs. J.M. Barker were given the privilege of naming the streets in the Fairmount area. They chose the names of their favorite states and trees.

800 Euclid, (circa 1925) home of Robert and Janet Carpenter Bob Stitt built this beautiful craftsman home for Holland S. McDowell in 1925. Mr. McDowell was a salesman when he first arrived in Bristol but later worked in the post office. According to Mr. Bud Phillips, his widow was still living there in 1953 and presented him with a clock that she received as a wedding gift. This home was remodeled in 1990 and was formerly the office of Dr. Prill. The present owners have re-installed the original light fixtures and opened up the living space. The home boasts beautiful oak trim.

327 West Mary St., Bristol Va. circa 1880 circa (1880) Pastor Richie Hayes Reynolds Memorial United Methodist Church was founded as Mary St. Methodist Church in 1881 with 12 chartered members meeting in a small cottage. The name was changed in 1927 to Reynolds Memorial Methodist Church in memory of Major A.D. Reynolds, one of its founders and benefactors. Currently, this 1.5 million dollar gothic styled church features vaulted ceilings and beautiful stained glass.

Van Dyke — Davis Alumni House, 808 Moore Street
Built in 1905, this fourteen-room house was, for many years, the home of the Hayes family. It was the first private residence in the region to have a central air system, and one of the first in Bristol to have telephone service. The original booth still stands in the hallway. The house was renovated in 2005 by Virginia Intermont College, with the help of alumni Mary “Sis” Van Dyke (Class of 1945) and Mary Coomer Davis (Class of 1947). Today, it serves as a bed and breakfast for alumni, as well as an exhibit space and reception site for special events. It is also available for rental as meeting space for local organizations.

President’s House -1000 Moore Street
Designed by architect C.B. Kearfott in the 1920’s, this unique ten-room house has been home to nine Presidents of Virginia Intermont College and their families. The east porch, facing campus, has always been the focal point of the house, leading eventually to its “Moore Street” address designation. But, the true front faces south on Intermont Drive. Current President, Dr. E. Clorisa Phillips, has placed paintings, photographs and sculpture created by VI faculty members on proud display throughout the first floor.

708 Georgia Avenue, Bristol, Tn., home of Dr. Rebecca Watson In 1900 the Bibee family purchased the land with the stipulation that a home worth at least $3,000 be built within three years. The upstairs was originally a ballroom and was closed off except for special occasions. Later on the upstairs was converted to a large hallway leading to two bedrooms and two baths. Probably the most well known residents were the Pages. Mrs. Page had an audience with Queen Elizabeth in New York City when she came to this country in the 1950’s. Architecturally, the home is a modification of the Four Square style. The current owner, Dr. Rebecca Watson, has owned the property since 1983.

519 Alabama St., Bristol, Tn.
(Circa 1903) Home of Paul, Jewell, and Celina Williams. The 1903 Victorian Queen Anne free classic home was built as a wedding gift from E. W. King to his son Clarence and is known as “King of Cottages”. It is distinguished architecturally as a George Barber Design and will be featured in an upcoming book about George Barber Homes. Barber was one of the leading architects of Victorian Homes in that era. Highlights of the home include tiger oak woodwork, beveled glass, sliding pocket doors, and stained glass transoms.