Historic Downtown eNews  |  Archive

AUCTION SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4TH • 10:00AM

January 30, 2012

THE SUSONG BUILDING — This building is located on one of the most visible corner lots in downtown Bristol. Very rarely will you have a chance too buy a piece of history in one of the fastest growing downtowns on the east coast. This building has approx. 9600 sq. feet of space on 3 floors with lots of great windows that supply a beautiful view of downtown.

The possibilities are endless with this property. Drive by and take a look.

Please note under title X the purchaser of a single family residence has a maximum of 10 days to conduct a risk assessment or inspection of a structure built before 1978 for the presence of lead-based paint and/or lead based paint hazards. The date of the appearance of the first advertisement for this property begins this 10 day time period. Seller and Auction Company assume that purchaser has inspected structures situated on the property prior to
bidding and that property is suitable for purchasers use. Purchasers should rely strictly upon their own judgement in bidding.

The Susong Building occupies the historic N.W. corner of State and Lee streets in downtown Bristol, Va. In 1853 Joseph R. Anderson contracted to sell this lot to John H. Moore of Russell County, Va. The deed for it was issued on July 11, 1854. Upon this lot Mr. Moore erected a frame store building and behind it he built a small frame cottage for his family home.

The first crime in Bristol happened on this lot in early 1855 and it was an unusual form of burglary. A local unemployed man bored a hole through the store’s floor and into a barrel of molasses. Mr. Moore did not remain in Bristol very long. He sold his lot to E.H. Seneker, who was a native of the area and a descendant of the pioneer Susong family. He demolished Moore’s old store building and built a much larger structure on the site. For years this area was known as Seneker’s Corner. It was from this corner that the famous swinging bridge was erected to span old Main Street (now State Street). This was so people could cross the street without sinking into mud puddles. The second story of Seneker’s building was briefly used to hold civilian prisoners of war during the Yankee raid of 1864.

Around 1875 Mr. Seneker built a larger store building. It was of brick construction and was used as a large mercantile establishment for several years. On November 15, 1898 J.O. Susong, a cousin of Mr. Seneker, finished the construction of the present building on that lot. It was built of cut stone and pressed brick and was considered to be the finest building in downtown Bristol.

Through the years this building has had various owners and several businesses have been located there. For a long time it was home to the Smith-Blakely Co., the forerunner of the present Blakely-Mitchell Co. Historical information by V.N. “Bud” Phillips.

The Susong Building

TERMS: 10% DOWN DAY OF SALE. 10% BUYERS PREMIUM ADDED TO BID PRICE TO ESTABLISH FINAL CONTRACT PRICE.

CLOSING IN 30 DAYS. SOLD “AS-IS”.

The building also has a working elevator!

DIRECTIONS: 501 State Street, Downtown Bristol, Virginia.

Visit — http://www.bartlongauctions.com/property/listing.php?id=86for more information.